MetalStark666
view post Posted on 25/8/2009, 15:15

ecco ora si vede...bella!

view post Posted on 26/8/2009, 14:58

Trascendental being

Group:
● Founder

Say Goodbye

spiegazione della poesia da 1 tipa giappica :)

CITAZIONE
"For the Japanese poem in question. When I first took a look at it, I questioned the use of the word "lust" for the Japanese word "hossuru (欲する)" as well. "Hossuru (欲する)" is often translated as "desire" or "want". However, anyone who is familiar with the Christian notion of "Seven Deadly Sins" will have to acknowledge the intention of the author of this poem for the intended reference to them, which the English translation makes it obvious. The translation is therefore, quite valid and well done.

Those who are not familiar with the notion of "Seven Deadly Sins" might also question/argue the translation for the word "kurau (喰らう)" to be translated "devour" rather than "glutton", or for that matter, "ubai(奪い)" to be "steal" or "take away" rather than "covet" as in English version. But I must say, the reference to the 7DS's is undeniable...

Although the lack of pronoun in the poem leaves it wide open for interpretation as to what English pronoun equivalent was "intended"... (This is a common practice in Japanese to omit pronouns and therefore making the interpretation/translation somewhat tricky and up to the translator's interpretation), "I" definitely works, but "you", "we", "he", "she", "they", can theoretically all work. Because of the final line's reference to "omae no subete" (= the whole/all of you), the most logical choice would be "I" for the speaker, IMO, in this case.

As for the word "kokoro (心)" which is commonly translated into "the heart", it could also mean "soul", "mind", "spirit", "feeling", "emotion", etc. It's one of these situations where an exact word for word translation/identification may not be quite enough for the gravity of word "kokoro" could imply in Japanese. That said, "the heart" in common English use regarding matters of love and emotion, is considered appropriate.

home  Top
20 replies since 27/7/2009, 21:25   326 views